- 1 Welcome!
- 2 Hi there!
- 3 Humorous approach
- 4 Quotes
- 5 Article inaccuracies
- 6 Inaccuracies - careful with the axe
- 7 Console Cheats
- 8 Redirects
- 9 Thanks
- 10 Cannot ressurect Murin Rumnator
- 11 ADWR Link
- 12 Question
- 13 Dates
- 14 Back in Betancuria?
- 15 Image License Question
- 16 Transitioning from Part One to Part Two problem
- 17 Old Version Requests
Hi Superlgn -- we are excited to have A Dance with Rogues as part of the Wikia community! Thanks for joining us, and we'd like to give you some tips to help you get started on making your wiki great.
Your first four steps:
1. Create your User Page - this is a great place to introduce yourself (and practice wiki-editing!)
2. Add a logo - learn how to create a logo image, then to add it to the wiki.
3. Create your first 10 articles - use the box on the right to create ten pages, starting each one off with a few sentences. For example if you are starting a wiki on a TV show, you might create an article for each main character and for each episode of the show.
4. Edit your Main Page - add internal links to the ten articles you just created, and any other improvements you can think of.
Once you've done these four things, you've created a great starting point -- your wiki looks friendly and ready for visitors. You can then invite some friends to help you create the next twenty pages, and expand the ones you've built.
Keep going! The more pages you create and link to each other, the sooner that others who are searching for "A Dance with Rogues" will be able find your project in search engines, read your content and join you in editing.
If you have more questions, we've provided a full set of help pages, or you can email us through our contact form. Don't forget to check out other wikis on Wikia for ideas on layout, organizing your pages, and more. Have fun!
Best wishes, Catherine Munro
I'm Richard1990. I'm a Helper who specializes in Gaming Wikis. I want to cheer you on for having started a new gaming-related wiki, and see if there is anything I can help a fellow Wikian with. So if you need help with any thing, don't hesitate to ask!
I've got some tips for you here:
- Main Page protection – Wikia has a general policy of not protecting the Main Page unless it is the target of recurring heavy vandalism. For more info, check out Help:Main page on Wikia Help.
- Main Page title – You will notice that the Main Page of your wiki (the page that appears when you click on your wiki's logo) will be "<subject> Wiki". This is to improve your wiki's Google rank, so it is recommended that you do not change the name of that page. For more info, check out Advice:Raising your wiki's Google ranking at Wikia Help.
- Logo - If you need help making logos for your wiki, you can ask for help at the Logo Creation Wiki. You can upload a 155 x 155 pixel image to Image:Wiki.png, which is the location for your wiki's logo.
- Your user page – Use your user page to introduce yourself to other new visitors, so the wiki has a more personal feeling to it and luring visitors to stay and become involved. People without a userpage do not get listed in the "Featured users" listing no matter how active they are, so make sure you add something to your user page to appear in there!
- Wikia Gaming IRC – There is a Wikia gaming IRC channel, #wikia-gaming, where you can hop on, ask for help from users of other gaming wikis, or offer your own experiences. You can access it from http://irc.wikia.com/gaming, or connect to it by your own client at irc://irc.freenode.net/wikia-gaming. Different people may be on sporadically, though you're free to ask them for any help.
At some point I got an idea that descriptions (at least of people) should be may be less serious and informtaive dry but more fun. You know to have more of a character to them. In this sprit I wrote, Anden, Paury , Jacia and Mando pages.
I am still not sure how far should it go, how many profanities I can put into it and cet....I would be happy to have some feedback on such approach.
- I don't mind, just so long as it's all more or less correct --Superlgn 19:16, 18 March 2009 (UTC)
- I do mind, as humor and exaggeration has a tendency to ruin the credibility of a good article. But as long as it's indisputably correct, do what you must. --Lazuri 05:50, 27 March 2009 (UTC)
I was just editing the character pages a bit, and I am at a bit of a loss as to how to leave quotes. I am a relative novice at wiki editing, but I believe this might be because we lack the relevant template. Is there any other way to add quotes? They can really improve the character articles. Xavier Arc 14:33, 25 March 2009 (UTC)
- If you're asking how to present them, we could probably just do a regular heading at the bottom of the article (== Quotes ==; text above a horizontal rule like the messages left here), followed by a list with bullets like the character lists on The Bear Pit. I can't think of anything offhand, otherwise I'd make up an example. :P --Superlgn 17:03, 25 March 2009 (UTC)
This is kind of related to your point about a more humorous approach to the character articles. I have noticed this seems to have led to a number of inaccuracies in the articles, such as the implication there is a rumour that Mando has a large penis - I don't believe such a rumour exists. I also edited away the claim that Myra has a wonderful singing voice in her article. It is all well and good to have a funny, friendly tone to the articles, but I think we should still stick to facts. Xavier Arc 14:39, 25 March 2009 (UTC)
Agreed, Xavier. I'm not really fond of humor in a factual article, not because I'm a humorless person, but because everyone has different taste in jokes. What may sound funny to you, may sound offensive, stupid and embarrassing to others. --Lazuri 05:46, 27 March 2009 (UTC)
Inaccuracies - careful with the axe
Frankly, I didn't like the major editing away without discussion already written text. Sure I understand that it is my pride speaking, but I did investe my time into inventing it and cutting it away "just like that" and call it vandalism....well....what can I say Please read the Wiki Faq page.
With regard to accuracy, on Mira voice talents, don't assume it is about singing. She is quite vocal and we know it. With regard to Mando's rumour.. sure there is no such rumour, but it is harmmless and is apropriate with the module spirit. This is not ecyclopedia Brittanica. As I see it person who reads this wiki should get info, but also just have some fun. It is a judgement call after all.
Well, the last one get's to say the final word, I guess.
ChernyjDyr 15:07, 25 March 2009 (UTC)
- I think the article on Mando goes a bit too far, but that's just me. I'm sure we can find a way to keep them accurate and still fun. --Superlgn 17:31, 25 March 2009 (UTC)
- Ok ok... I have cut the penis! :D ChernyjDyr 20:05, 25 March 2009 (UTC)
- Eeek. I wouldn't wanna be Mando! :) --Superlgn 21:09, 25 March 2009 (UTC)
- ...Sorry, that was me. Anyway, I believe inaccurate and untrue information should be deleted, regardless of the circumstances. The same goes for assumptions and pictures unique to one players experience. (Such as screenshots of the princess. I'm all for posting pictures of our characters, but let's keep them in their own article.)
- ChernyjDyr, please don't take it the wrong way. You are a skilled writer, and I really appreciate what you are doing, and I'm sure the rest of the people here do as well. If you want me to provide reasons as to why I'm "swinging the axe", I will gladly provide. So don't think of it as vandalism. --Lazuri 05:42, 27 March 2009 (UTC)
I don't and that's why I am not reverting. It is different view ,,, that's is. Anyway i think I will adopt a brilliant hobitoftheshire idea and put in apropriate articles a section called "Dissenting opinion" with all the fancy disclaimers (or put link to different article like say: "Anden - exposed!!! " and discalimer "the following article express subjective opinion and contains speculations, assumptions and not really funny jokes. BE WARE!". One thing should be noted, this module presents such freedom of choice that if we really will try to write only sure things, we will not get too far!
ChernyjDyr 09:40, 27 March 2009 (UTC)
- I'm not sure I am following you, ChernyjDyr. The modules do have multiple ways to essentially accomplish the same thing, yes, and there is no reason they can't all be included in the wiki - especially since I heard something along the lines of one of the reasons for this wiki being that it will hopefully be able to answer any questions made by newbies who get stuck in certain parts and would normally have to ask for help in the modules comments section over at the NWN2 Vault...Still, I suppose there's no reason you can't write these more humourous articles as long as they include the appropriate disclaimer. Remember, this isn't our work here - the modules were crafted by Valine and being represented by a wiki that is perceived as too immature could damage their credibility. --Xavier Arc 14:04, 27 March 2009 (UTC)
I would also be a little careful about putting too much innuendo, even in the "exposed" pages, which I'm not sure if they should be linked to from EACH character page. Or perhaps I should say we should have more varied humour? I envision a user contributions (i.e. the Players' Lounge I created) section where we'd have some critical articles, reviews, odes to Pia, pics, and yes, some NC-17 stuff. But if the innuendo tips the scale, it's not going to look good. I would hope that with this Wiki, we can even attract those who would otherwise be too "prudish" to try the mod. So we can't scare them...lol. Very explicit and raunchy stuff should be in a private area (say, the Yahoo Group). Very opinionated stuff should be in the Lounge or discussed in the Guild.--Hobbit of the shire 06:40, 28 March 2009 (UTC)
Well I would have to disagree. I guess at certain age the question if something can be considered immature ceizes to bother you. Becauase the module were crafted by Valine and they are what they are and written the way they are, we shouln't try pretend we are Vatican concil speaking about gospels. Such aproach in my view is the wrong and unfaithfull representation of the story. Sure the story is serious and gritty and dramatic, but it is sexual and playfull, rude and "immature" in the sence as sexual innuando is imature (something I don't agree with). We shouldn't be ashamed of it's playfull and sexualy inspired spirit, we shouldn't try to hide it in a closet , we should try to present this story as different from what it is in it's entiretly. Not for the sake of prudish people, nor for enyone else! Such fearfull attitude exactly causes the game industry to become castrated .... it all starts just for the sake of caution, not to offend, lets respect others fragile feeling , shall we!, it is game children can play it, and then it all turns into colourless and bland desert of rightcheous zombies where soldiers confiscat "filthy" paintings or where Oscar Wilde books are forbidden from national libreries. I am not a bit ashamed or shy of sexual aspects of the module.. they are of course not the only thing this module is great for, but they are a inherent part of the story and the module spirit. I an afraid that because we are so afarid of idiotic critisims by prudes on vault and other places, that this module "sells" just because of sex, we began to hide or minimize the sexual parts, and by this gave in to those prudes, gave credence to they claim. Instead we should say: Up yours! Don't like, don't play it! May be I don't express my self well, english is not my native language (as you can easily guess :)) but thats how I feel about it. Of course being a collective project, de facto, I will respect others views. ChernyjDyr 07:31, 28 March 2009 (UTC)
In no way do I mean we should concede to the prudes. Valine's mod is a work of art even without the naughty stuff, but of course sex in its full glory (and horrors) is a deep theme in the mod. And I think we should present that, plus all the other good things in the module. Personally, I just think a balance would be good. Compare to the mod Sex and the Single Adventuress where the only purpose of the module is gratuitous sex.... ADwR is so much more than that. And I'd like that to show through. Anyway, 'nuff about this subject. But seriously, the effort you're putting into these pages is commendable, ChernyjDyr. --Hobbit of the shire 08:29, 28 March 2009 (UTC)
That is the reason why after couple of tries I saw it is pointless to go by having different article aproach either. Having few jokes and innuendoes among mostly serious text as i have tried at first is one thing, but when it all is concentrated it is just too much. Therefore the result. As I have already said my other option to contributing to WIKI would be to work and try to take somebody's money away ChernyjDyr 11:14, 28 March 2009 (UTC)
Anyway, I think we can all agree that while the module does contain playful and humorous moments, it is a serious and epic tale containing many grave subjects. Maybe the wiki should be like that too. I really miss more contributors though. None of the articles are even close to being complete, if that's even possible. --Lazuri 15:10, 28 March 2009 (UTC)
Well, maybe in time, there'll be a few more that contribute. You guys are working at a feverish pace, and creating pages at an alarming rate. :-P At some point that will peter out and then the task will be to fill in those voids carefully. I'm short on time for the next few days, but when I'm free I think I just might play through the mod and note all details, adding to these pages as I go. --Hobbit of the shire 18:26, 28 March 2009 (UTC)
Rather than posting console commands in Tips-sections of main articles, could we put them in a separate article? This would not only make the articles cleaner, but it would make them easier to find for those who are actually looking for them and keep them out of sight for those opposed to altering the game through consoles. --Lazuri 06:00, 27 March 2009 (UTC)
The point is that lets's a computer unsavvy person (like me : duh :) ) would just be confused what to do. Lets say inspite of module designed primaraly for humans, he wants to play elf ... he won't go to the section named "console cheats" .. I am not sure he will know what console is! He will rightly assume that it is about cheating or something for really dedicated and will be clueless. At least may be we should put references in right spots. Something like a line in the princess section: if you still want to play elf.. see "Gaming experiance enchancing console commands" ;)ChernyjDyr 09:30, 27 March 2009 (UTC)
Then we can add a link to the Console commands where it's appropriate, and a tutorial on how to use it on the same page as the commandlist. If the person is truly unaware of how the console works that would mean we would have to include an instruction on every page that contained a console command. x.x --Lazuri 10:17, 27 March 2009 (UTC)
I can't figure out how to make a redirect. I tried to add "Rizzen" but it just comes up as a new page.--Hobbit of the shire 20:35, 27 March 2009 (UTC)
- Almost. What you typed in only works in the wikitext editor (command prompt looking button on the toolbar). In the new editor, it looks like you create a single numbered bullet point with the word "redirect" followed by an internal link. I often switch between both editors, but mainly use the old one as it's quicker for most things. --Superlgn 22:09, 27 March 2009 (UTC)
I was wondering if you could do something about the color theme of the site, more specifically change the standard color of the Info-box header from white text on blue background to black text on white background? --Lazuri 04:44, 2 April 2009 (UTC)
- The Template:Infobox page suggests creating a copy as something else, like Template:CharacterInfobox. Are there many pages using the Infobox that it would be a pain to update or should I just make the change to the Template:Infobox? Looks like you should be able to go right into the old wikitext editor and just change the template name. It looks kindof bland without the colored heading.. --Superlgn 05:01, 2 April 2009 (UTC)
Hmm, a change to the template is what I meant. I don't know html too well though. --Lazuri 05:11, 2 April 2009 (UTC)
Hi I just edited the page on mennes (?) house quest, but I was logged out at the time so it got attributed to User talk:18.104.22.168, is it possible to amend the edit to me, not that I am hung up on seeing my name but if anyone wants to complain then they know who to shout at, you never know I may even listen. --Tinkerbelle 15:12, 15 May 2009 (UTC)
- I don't think so. You could undo the edit and redo it as yourself. I think those should be actions you can perform under the history page for the article. --Superlgn 18:05, 15 May 2009 (UTC)
If that is your concern, don't bother. There are not so many of us :), and there is always a posibility to raise a concern on talk page anyway.ChernyjDyr 19:38, 15 May 2009 (UTC)
I just wanted to say thanks for all the work you've done here it's really helped me get a lot more out of the game. I really like those buttons you made for the companions and quests and stuff on the front page. How did you do that? I haven't seen stuff like that on other wikis.
- Thanks, it's been a ton of work, so it's nice to hear the wiki is appreciated. I got the idea for the buttons on the front page from the Bioshock wiki. I just found some different images or took pictures of scenes within the game and edited them with a photo editor (like Photoshop or Gimp), then used an imagemap to assemble the layout. --Superlgn 02:47, 31 May 2009 (UTC)
Cannot ressurect Murin Rumnator
Hello! I need your help with a part of the walkthrough, please. I'm currently playing A Dance With Rogues Part Two and I'm stuck in the Tunnels below the Black Mountains because I cannot resurrect Murin Rumnator. I have the Resurrection Rod, but the problem is that it is UNIDENTIFIED and I cannot use it. :( None in my party can identify it - I have all the possible henchmen, except Pia - and I've already drank a few Lore potions, with no effect. By going back I cannot resolve the problem, because there are no more shops to trade with. Do you know if anything can be done to advance int he game in the current situation? If not, can I use cheats or anything at all to go further in the game?
I would be very grateful for any advice. It's unbelievably frustrating.
~~ Songlian 09:56, 6 July 2009 (UTC)
I (and I'm sure most people) rely heavily on Pia to identify items. You should have already had a Rod of Resurrection in your inventory from Part One (used to bring back the Baron). Maybe you lost or dropped it, or started with a new character or something.. Regardless, you should be able to set your intelligence to a high enough level to identify the Rod using the "dm_setINT 30" debug mode command, or you could try to spawn the actual Neverwinter Nights Rod instead, which may not need to be identified. That can be done with "dm_spawnitem nw_wmgmrd002". Just make sure you reset whatever you changed and that you disable debug mode, or it can cause problems.
--Superlgn 20:17, 5 July 2009 (UTC)
Thanks for your quick reply! :) I also posted to NWN forums, but to no avail. I did not start with a new character, but I dropped the Rod of Resurrection from Part One...though I can't remember for sure when and why. Now I have an unidentified rod from the drow priestess' body and I hope that's a resurrection one. If not...:(
I tried using the debug mode, but somehow it's not working. This is what happens:
Click on the Talk field Type ##DebugMode 1 Press enter
At which point is says "Success".
Type dm_setINT 30 Press enter
At which point my character appears to be speaking that command, but nothing else happens. The intelligence stays the same. What am I doing wrong? The other command does not work either. I'm sorry to be taking you time. ~~ Songlian 09:56, 6 July 2009 (UTC)
I solved the problem. :) Using DebugMode I gave myself enough XP to advance 3 levels, invested all my skill points in Lore and that indeed was a Rod of Resurrection. Thank you for your assistance. And methinks the walkthrough should warn you about this. :) Have a good day ahead!
- You have to click on yourself to modify intelligence and other things, so maybe that's what you needed to do. I don't think there's going to be much ADwR support on the NWN forums, unless you were strictly looking for help with NWN itself. I was talking about the project pages on the Neverwinter Nights 2 Vault, where you downloaded the module from. It's a very active comments section compared to most modules and there are quite a few people there helping. I'll see about noting a Rod as a requirement at the start of the Chapter, but I really don't think this is going to be a common issue. A Rod is required to complete Part One and it's a handy item that has no reason to be discarded or left behind after an equipment strip. --Superlgn 23:26, 5 July 2009 (UTC)
- Sorry for the delay in reply, I crashed yesterday shortly after we last talked. Wanted to add that the problem with Debug Mode for me was that the commands typed "dm_setINT 30" do not work. I had to type something like this ##SetINT 30 and then, yes, you have to click on the target. I do have everything installed 1.69 plus the CEP2.2 so I don't know the reason why it works only in that form, but I'm glad the problem is solved. I also noticed that you added the Rod of Ressurection notice to some articles and I'm very happy about it. :) You are absolutely right that it was a foolish thing to do - somehow losing that Rod - but also, the fact that is crucial to advancing in the game makes it worth the warning. I'll keep in mind the NWN Vault discussion group. ~~ Songlian 09:56, 6 July 2009 (UTC)
I've been planning to ask you this for a while. I want to add a link to ADWR Wiki on some forums accounts I own - in the signature, I mean - and I was wondering if that's OK with you? I don't wanna step any boundaries here, give the people weird ideas that I'm some kind of important stuff around here, so if that would bother you in any way, just let me know and I'll drop it, all right? ~~ Songlian 16:22, September 15, 2009 (UTC)
- It would only matter to me if it was my wiki, I was hosting it, and we had extreme (high) load issues (and that any additional traffic would adversely affect things). As it stands, it's not my wiki, I don't host it, and we don't have load issues.:P Wikia may have problems from time to time, but I doubt our wiki is receiving the same type of traffic that the star wars wiki and others are. You're free to do what you like and are just as important as anyone else around here. I'm not sure if mediawiki can get an edit breakdown for a certain timeframe, but I'm pretty sure you've done quite a bit more than anyone else in the last month. --Superlgn 17:57, September 15, 2009 (UTC)
- Awesome! :) I'm spreading the news about the updates. I'm still hyper from hearing it! ~~ Songlian 18:28, September 15, 2009 (UTC)
Hey, unregistered User here,
Wanted to say sorry that i accidently confused the Namara and Namara (Neversleep) articles. And i wanted to ask if, and were advice regarding the Golden Chalice quest should be written since i found a way of getting all the items and the chalice without having to fight the Undead Knights and the Highpriest, but it involves some abuse of the save function. To further elaborate:
Since i couldn't kill the High Priest and the Undead Knights in a normal fight (High priest kept casting dazing or damage dealing spells), and didn't have enough traps to weaken them sufficiently, i decided to let Myra and Christiano stay in the safe room and locked the door, then i but the water in the basin switched to sneaking mode and rang the gong. Then i sneaked past the priest and the knights (priest has a low chance to spot someone though) , plundered the room of the undead knights, then ran over to the priests tomb disarmed and unlocked the sarcophagus and quicksaved. I immediately loaded the quicksave which made Christiano and Myra appear next to me and the sarcophagus (which is far enough away from the priest and the knights to avoid drawing their attention), i opened the sarcophagus, had christiano take the chalice and then told him and myra again to stay in the priests tomb while i sneaked over to the stairs to the higher level without any of the knights or the priest noticing.
I also found out that one can avoid being raped by the two initial bandits/fighting them by canceling their initial conversation with the Escape key, and comign back later with the dog and anden to finish them off.
I also would like to suggest making a page about, or adding some references to the "Dhorn interlude" as it's called in the walkthrough to part one which happens apparently sometime in the 2nd Chapter in which one get's suddenly arrested and charged with a few crimes by Alto and then busted out of jail by Tarleth who dies during the escape. (I at least reloaded an older save during the beginnig of that part since i just previously "spend some time" with Jero for information about the two Dhorn Soldier in the A death in the Family quest and thought the arrest was caused by that.
Please excuse my english, it's not my native language.
22.214.171.124 19:23, September 11, 2010 (UTC)
Good choice with the date format. And it was already October in my mind, I just noticed. *cough* ~~ Songlian 18:30, September 21, 2010 (UTC)
Back in Betancuria?
Hey, me again. I noticed you noted Back in Betancuria next to all the changes for Chapter 2, after the Princess is captured by the Dhorn -- Tarleth, the Cells, the Pasage, the Storage rooms, etc. But that's not Back in Betancuria, and it's getting a bit confusing over here, because Back in Betancuria is actually Chapter 4 according to the Walkthrough for Part One. I think they should be named differently, or if you want to leave Back in Betancuria as the name for the ending of Chapter 2, then let's change the name in the walkthrough for Chapter 4. Thanks. ~~ Songlian 15:46, October 23, 2010 (UTC)
- Not sure how I ended up with Back in Betancuria for that stuff, I changed it all to Captured. --Superlgn 16:34, October 23, 2010 (UTC)
Image License Question
What licensing are we suppose to use for images that were created from the game? CC-BY-SA?
- I've never set a license when uploading files. --Superlgn 17:58, December 11, 2010 (UTC)
- Thank you. I'll follow suit. -- Rdde 19:22, December 11, 2010 (UTC)
Transitioning from Part One to Part Two problem
Hello there, I was just wondering if you could help me with a problem I have been having. I finished Part One of the story and want to move on to the next leg of the princesses journey, but every time I try to use the gem you get at the end of part one the game just goes to a black screen and stays that way. The only thing on screen is my mouse cursor, which is an X, and I have found that if I enter "DebugMode 1" the game just outright crashes.
I really want to continue the story, but as it is I can not. Putting some kind of advice for such a problem into the Troubleshooting page would be nice...
126.96.36.199 05:40, May 17, 2012 (UTC)
- The gem of export is a new addition to the latest module but isn't working at this time, or it's designed to work with the next version of Part Two (if/when it's released). You'll need to continue the game the old fashioned way - export your character from the menu at end of Part One, then load Part Two and select that character. See the Download page for more info. I'll add a small note to the Troubleshooting page. --Superlgn 14:59, May 19, 2012 (UTC)
Old Version Requests
I can't use the email function for the wikia so I thought I'd just reach you here. Do you happen to have Part One version 1.30 and Part Two version 1.22? I seem to be missing my copies of these files. Thank you!
- Sure. I put v1.30 on my user page and here's Part Two v1.22. That's not commonly requested so I didn't include it with the others. Superlgn (talk) 02:45, July 8, 2014 (UTC)
Hello. I couldn't find any other means of communication with you, so I thought that the talk page would be fine.
I've only heard about ADWR recently, and I wanted to play this mod so much. The problem is - the nwnvault is dead for me, I cannot download anything at all. Could you possibly set up a mirror to the newest versions of the mod, as well as the ACAG 106 hakpack? Thank you in advance.
188.8.131.52 17:37, July 7, 2014 (UTC)